Sweatshirts and Pencil Skirts

It's hard to know where to start when all you have is a blank blog and what seems like an infinite number of topics to talk about...

I decided to keep it simple and write about a long-term style obsession of mine which was recently re-ignited when I came across this video on The Guardian's fashion site: How to dress: sweatshirts with pencil skirts. Jess Cartner-Morley suggests that these two clothing items from opposite ends of the fashion spectrum have come to 'meet in the middle' with the result being that they are now worn together. It seems a good analysis; pencil, midi and bodycon skirts are becoming more casual and everyday, whilst sweatshirts and jumpers are becoming more accepted as 'dressier' items.

Now I have a love for jumpers and sweatshirts that verges on being obsessive (according to everyone who knows me), so they feature in most of my everyday outfits. Comfy, classic and reliable; what's not to love? However I am a petite girl and these staples of my wardrobe don't do a great deal to flatter my figure.

That's where this trend combination comes in- I can wear my treasured jumpers whilst flattering my frame with one of the sexiest clothing items ever, the pencil skirt.

I have also recently fallen in love with the midi-skirt, though being 5'3 in height it's a look i'm struggling to pull off. It was whilst watching the Guardian's video and dreaming of a midi skirt which actually stops just below my knee when I suddenly remembered seeing this trend before in Vogue a few years ago. I searched frantically for the images I had scanned and saved and for any clue of the name of the feature, and had nearly given up when My Daily Glamour saved the day.

I had seen the 'Midi Town Glamour Girl' feature in the July 2011 Vogue and had never forgotten it- especially the image at the top of this post. This is where my jumper/slim skirt love affair began, and I'm happy that the trend is still here and growing. Long live the wooly jumper!

Love, 
Pip








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Category

Twitter Updates

Instagram Photostream