My Pop Art Pattern Designs


In our Design Theory module this term we have learned about the concept of Modularity in design structure. The basic idea behind modularity is that from a 'minimum inventory' of units we can create a 'maximum diversity' of designs.

With this in mind, our assignment task was to take an equilateral triangle and regular hexagon and divide them into tiles. These divisions and our  colour allocation were based on a theme of our choice and a chosen end use. 

I chose Pop Art as a theme, with the final patterns to be printed onto vinyl wall covering for a retro themed bar.

We had to take our new tiles and rearrange, rescale and reconfigure them in numerous ways to create a new and diverse set of periodic tilings. The tiles needed to cover the plane without any gap or overlap, and this was no way an easy task! 

My divisions of each shape needed careful consideration to ensure that they could be tessellated when rearranged and manipulated. Also the shapes and the eventual patterns needed in some way to reflect the chosen them.

Icons which I have tried to portray in my pattern structures include speech bubbles, explosions, soup tins, cartoon-style hair and facial features and the black outlines of comics and lettering.

Below I've shown my mood board, colour palette and shape divisions which all led me towards the creation of my final 12 pattern designs.






This assignment was very difficult and time consuming, but as with most difficult projects, the results have been really rewarding. Let me know what you think!

Love,
Pip




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Category

Twitter Updates

Instagram Photostream