Rick Owens Project

This year in our design module we were allocated designers and asked to design a collection for their Autumn/Winter 12/13 range. My group were given Rick Owens, and I was really pleased to have such an innovative and interesting designer to research.

As a group we spent 6 weeks undergoing extensive research into Rick Owens- his style, inspirations and his philosophy.  We looked at his past collections and tried to create a customer profile for his brand, as well as considering potential competitors.  Though Rick Owens seems to ignore current trends when designing, we felt it important to consider any themes, colours and ideas which had been forecasted as design inspiration in A/W 12/13. 

From this research we developed the 'Revelation' trend, which is explained in detail in the final image in this post. From this point we went our separate ways and moved into the design development stages of the process. I was able to develop my own take on the theme, researching further into areas of interest that had caught my imagination including Dystopias, operatic costume, the 'warrior' figure and John Milton's depiction of the fall of man in Paradise Lost.

I thoroughly enjoyed this project and the intense moody feel of the theme. Also, I was amazed by how useful my literature knowledge was becoming in the area of design development. Below are some of the research pages I contributed during the group work and my own research. My next post will show you my final collection! 







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Category

Twitter Updates

Instagram Photostream